Saturday, June 04, 2005

George Lucas IS a Completely Useless Writer

I just saw some show on VH1 called When Star Wars Ruled the Earth. They discussed the only good bit of dialogue I was willing to credit to George Lucas ("I love you." "I know." Enter carbonite!) Turns out the scene was originally written "I love you." "I love you too." and Harrison Ford was the one to suggest to Irvin Kershner that Han Solo wouldn't be such a limp cheesedick in the moment and thought they should change the line to "I know." And so is flushed the last bit of credit I was willing to give Lucas. Too bad Natalie Portman and Hayden Christiansen (or anyone with talent) couldn't have stood up to Lucas enough to save Episode II or make Episode III what it could have been.

Edited to add: They also showed Harrison Ford commenting that he didn't think Return of the Jedi "had a very successful ending, with a teddy bear picnic" Why couldn't he have been in charge of Episodes I-III???

Also, they just showed "Superfans" and their Star Wars-themed WEDDINGS. One bride actually had the nerve (or complete loss of touch with reality) to say "I didn't want to go for the typical goober Star Wars wedding" Excuse me?!?!?!? You have Yoda as your ring-bearer and Stormtroopers as your groomsmen. What other type of Star Wars wedding IS THERE???

No comments: