Monday, July 26, 2004

Good Weekend

I'd planned to do nothing this weekend, but instead ended up quite busy.
 
Saturday, I went to see my new little quasi-nephew, Alex Daniel.  Unlike most newborn babies where the only compliment that honesty permits is: "My, what a healthy-looking baby", Alex D is a cutie.  He slept on my boobies for about 45 minutes - to which I say, I'm glad they're useful for something, as I don't see much purpose for them.  Had lunch with his mom and pop and one of his real aunties, and we checked out an apt for Mom and Pop which they decided to go with - pretty cool joint and excellent price.
 
Then I headed on over to John and Laura's, where I was greeted by John, Laura, and Laura's sis playing ghetto Uno, with John making up definitions for Uno cards.  Then we got yummy Mexican food for dinner, mine was scallops with a mandarin orange chipotle sauce that nearly burnt a hole right through to the back of my head.  But yummy.  We checked out this cool Celtic shop on Armitage, then all these gaymos wanted to go see I, Robot, so I went along for the ride.
 
What took me out of the film was really the first scene, in Will Smith's house, where they pan to a close-up of a JVC stereo.  Ok, let's put aside my suspension of disbelief about the rest of the story, now they want me to believe that a JVC stereo lasted for 30 years.  Nope, sorry, not buying it.  There's also a battle scene between humans and pesky robots where I fully expected Mel Gibson to come riding through calling "THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES, BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR ROOOBOOOOOOTS!!!!"  Thankfully the battle cries drowned out my hysterical giggling at this scene.  All in all, a movie that should be sliced and served on crackers.  Good special effects though.
 
Then Laura's sis and John helped me out to the car with the hand-me-down desktop PC I have purchased from Johnny.  Once I get it set up I plan to use it to work on my novel, not to play City of Heroes (sorry, John)
 
Sunday I had a relaxing lunch with my p's, and then out to another dinner, this time to celebrate the birthday of a former colleague of mine from Abbott.  We went to Wildfire where I had the tuna steak that had on the side the best invention on earth, wasabi cream sauce.  Yum!
 
I am looking forward to a relatively lowkey week and a ROOFTOP CUBS GAME on Sunday!  whoo hoo!  until later....
 
Cheers,
D

2 comments:

Laura said...

But you have to appreciate the movie for what it was: campy, high-action fun.

Anonymous said...

The machine is very overkill for a word processor, don't you think? It cries out for gaming love.