Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Musings from the Pacific Northwest

So I'm out in the Seattle area for work this week. I knew ahead of time that this wouldn't be an especially fun trip, as I'm here to do a knowledge transfer from a person in an office that's being closed down. I can sympathize since I just came out of this situation myself months ago. To make things even better, the office network went down again (it's been doing this periodically for a couple of weeks now) which means I'm in the hotel working via VPN. Which I could have been doing back home and get to hug my kitties at night. Sigh.

Today I made the trip at least partly worth it by heading out to Fran's Chocolates. I saw these on the Food Network and I remembered them when I got the call to come out here. The item I saw on tv that really piqued my interest were the sea salt caramels. Caramels covered in dark chocolate and sprinkled with grey sea salt, or milk chocolate with smoked salt. The kind ladies at Fran's gave me two free milk chocolate ones to try since I'd bought so much chocolate. OMFG. Creamy chewy caramel (not hard chewy the way other caramel can be) and the salt is an amazing mix with the sweet chocolate and caramel. To my credit, the large box and one of the small boxes I bought are for my officemates, but I set myself up very nicely with the dark chocolate variety. YUM.

Sunday afternoon before I left for this trip, I was moving some stuff around in my home office and noticed my mini totes umbrella. All I thought was "huh, there's my mini totes." Not "Huh, I'm headed to the Seattle area, which has garnered past distinction for being an area of high precipitation of the wet and rainy kind." So that umbrella is still at home and I hoofed my way back from the mall last night in the rain. I never said I was a smart person.

I saw the movie Juno on the plane out here. I still don't understand why the commercials made it seem like the movie is only about Juno and her baby daddy played by Michael Cera. The guy is seriously in the movie for about 15 minutes. Other than that, I thought the movie was fairly cute - I had a faint feeling a couple of times that it was trying a bit hard to be cool and edgy but I didn't find it as irritating as say, Garden State.

In other travel tidbits, Alaska Air serves Jones Soda on their flights. As I was battling a slight case of McDonald's-induced sour tummy, I elected to get normal ginger ale for my beverage, but it was nice to see the Jones. The meathead sitting next to me complained and asked why they didn't have normal Coke products. Whatever. I also found an excellent pineapple soda in the lobby of the office building that uses cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. Really yummy.

It's only Tuesday night. That fact kind of makes me want to cry. I refuse to drown my sorrows in salted caramels though. Luckily I already told one of the girls I work with about bringing these back next week. So either I leave them untouched or I have to go fight the parking nightmare in that area of town to get more. Which is sounding less and less heinous the more I remember that it's only Tuesday night. Sigh. Later, gators.

2 comments:

Heathen said...

They have a local brand of soda here is STL called Vess that comes in all sorts of interesting flavors. They have the usual Cola, Root Beer, Orange, Grape, Red pop, and Lemon-Lime flavors, but then they also have Pineapple, Strawberry-Kiwi, and Peach (they may have others that I can't remember). Since they only cost about 25 cents a can, I am pretty sure that they use high fructose corn syrup though.

I hated being in Seattle for internship interviews and not being able to explore it. I really want to go there and have for years. Do you have any opportunities to get out and explore in the evenings?

Laura said...

I will definitely have to check out Frans when I'm out there next month. Too bad you weren't out there the same time - that would have been fun fun fun.

I will have to remember to bring my umbrella. I wonder if I'll be allowed to carry it on the plane.