Tuesday, December 28, 2004

The Lifestyle to Which I Need to Become Accustomed

Man oh man, vacation rocks. I haven't gone out of town, haven't done anything uber special, but lately I am MADLY IN LOVE with SLEEP. Sleeping in is better than anything.

Christmas was pretty lowkey except my stinking best friends (who are for all intents and purposes my siblings) went and broke the Christmas gift draw rules.

Let me go back a ways. My best friends' brother and his girlfriend had a baby in July. Granted, Alex was an oopsie baby, but Steve and Kelly are turning out to be great parents, and we all love the little guy more than anything. But of course they're not independently wealthy, and I figured a name draw for Christmas gifts would be a good idea as I didn't want them to worry about having to buy presents for us all, especially since Kelly has a huge family of her own. So I drew Deb's husband, and figured all was right with the world.

The day after Christmas comes around, and we all get together to celebrate. I have Eric's present, plus stocking stuffer presents for everyone else - and everyone else has a regular present for me. DOH! They all said I've done so much for the family and for the baby that they couldn't not get me presents. Well, that's sweet but I wish they'd let me in on it - I love giving presents more than I love getting them and I felt really awkward and kind of robbed. I'm not trying to be ungrateful, but Christmas would have been perfect for me if I could have gotten presents for everyone. On the super plus side - Eric LOVED his Cardinals jersey - especially since Deb's plans to get him a laptop were foiled and she ended up getting him....foot spray. No I'm not making that up. I have a great imagination but even I couldn't come up with that.

Today I ordered a new pair of coke bottle glasses with heavily nerdo frames - $406. Thank you, Flex Account. Thank you. The kindly Eastern European technician asked if I'd like the featherweight lenses. YES please. Anti-glare coating? YES please. Rolled and polished edges? Honey, yes to anything you can do to diminish the impression that I'm wearing two glass bathroom wall blocks on my face. Sigh. Someday the FDA will approve a laser for my horrendo eyes. Until then, thank God for contacts, or I would have to strap these magnifying glasses to my face 24/7.

Tomorrow I'm going on the search for a book to teach me how to knit and some knitting needles. I've had four bundles of burgundy and green yarn sitting in my closet for years now, I am going to learn me how to knit! Maybe I can make Mom something for her birthday in February. Ok maybe for Mother's Day. Or Memorial Day. People don't give enough Memorial Day presents.

I'd stick around and blog for longer, but this is requiring way too much concentration during my vaca. I wish I could make a New Year's resolution to become independently wealthy before the end of my vacation.

1 comment:

Laura said...

My cousin is an expert knitter - I'll ask her if she knows of any good beginner books.