Friday, May 27, 2005

Stonehenge of the Pith (or No Actor Should Be Judged in the Context of Bad George Lucas Dialogue)

Stone·henge ( P ) Pronunciation Key (stnhnj)
A group of standing stones on Salisbury Plain in southern England. Dating to c. 2000-1800 B.C., the megaliths are enclosed by a circular ditch and embankment that may date to c. 2800. The arrangement of the stones suggests that Stonehenge was used as a religious center and also as an astronomical observatory.

pith
( P ) Pronunciation Key (pth)
tr.v. pithed, pith·ing, piths
To sever or destroy the spinal cord of, usually by inserting a needle into the vertebral canal.

I went to see Revenge of the Sith last week with Johnny and Laura. If you don't want to know what happens, stop reading.

I mean it.

Ok but don't come crying to me saying I spoiled it for you.

Episode III was much much better than Episodes I or II. But, that's a little like saying influenza is much much better than Ebola. You really have to judge it on an entirely different scale, where "excellent" is not physically possible.

And this is because George Lucas is a bad writer. He cannot write love/emotional scenes to save his life. (Best Star Wars love scene - "I love you." "I know." Here comes the carbonite!!! Even this was probably a save from Larry Kasdan) This is truly a shame, because Revenge of the Sith could have been a much more interesting and compelling movie if you actually believed that Anakin and Padme really loved each other. As it stands, Anakin's surrender to the Dark Side comes off like the act of a whiny bitch who would rather look for a magic cure-all than truly fight for what he knows is the right thing to do. By the time Anakin gets his (and a little credit to good choreography and special effects, he does get it in spectacular fashion) my only thought was "Good, you little asshole, now get that Vader mask on so I don't have to see you crying anymore."


This was an enjoyable movie (especially since John, Laura or I - can't remember who - called a "KHAAAAAAAAAANNN!!!" moment - and whoever it was, was right) - enough so that it made me really mad that it could have been really excellent had it not been for the horrible script. The dialogue is so flat and uninteresting that I could not sympathize with any of the characters no matter how much I wanted to. When the most evocative character is R2D2, something is wrong with the writing. I read about people panning Hayden Christiansen, Natalie Portman, and Ewan MacGregor for their performances, but I maintain that it is impossible to be a good actor with George Lucas dialogue. When life hands you chicken, you can make chicken shit or chicken salad, but come on, what the hell are you supposed to do when George Lucas hands you chicken shit?

George Lucas is a bad writer, and he has made a bozillion dollars...by telling stories. It is one of the great inexplicable injustices of our time - right up there with GWB running the country and Tron not receiving any Academy Awards. But at least this particular injustice (I hope) has come to an end.

Cheers,
D

2 comments:

Laura said...

Yes, the KHAAAAAAAN! moment is where I completely lost it and I was teetering on the edge when we saw the land of the Wookies looked more like the Keebler Elves' hideout.

I thought it was worth seeing - if you don't go in with high expectations. Which, if you've been paying attention to the last 3 (I include Jedi in the list of travesties. The Care Bears vs. the Red Army was one of the worst moments in SW history), then you can't have anything BUT doubts.

Laura said...

I can say with certainty, based on SW Ep II, III and the first 20 minutes of "Shattered Glass", that Hayden Christensen is in fact, wood-in-a-suit. The boy cannot act.