Sunday, March 25, 2007

My Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Vacation

HA! So not true. Especially considering my last vacation babysitting my brat cousin in Disney World, this past week in Vegas was one of the best vacations ever.

I've only been to Vegas for work and not for fun, so this was my first chance to get a good look at the Strip especially in daylight (previously I was cooped up in meetings and presentations all day). We stayed at Luxor, which like many other Vegas hotels, is gloriously tacky and over-the-top, but hey, if you came to Vegas for subtly tasteful decor, well, you're kind of dumb. We got there Monday morning, and decided to walk up to the Mirage to check out Siegfried & Roy's Secret Garden/Dolphin Exhibit. Thanks to my stupid stupid girly shoes, my feet were killing me by the time we got there, but the dolphins were totally worth it, as were the other animals like the white tiger rollin' around in the water.

Dolphins at the Mirage


White Tiger taking a bath

Over the course of the week we also checked out the Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay, and took a day trip to Lake Mead/Hoover Dam. We had amazing weather for the Lake Mead cruise - it was probably right around 70 and on the boat it was actually a bit cool. Thanks to full-on sunshine and my black hair, I was never actually cold though.

Lake Mead

Hoover Dam

We didn't go see any shows since there was nothing either of us was dying to see/was willing to pay in the neighborhood of $100 to see. (My normally awesome powers of persuasion weren't enough to get the boy to see Barry Manilow, even though the man DID write the songs that make the whole world sing. Sigh.) For the most part, we went somewhere if we felt like it, and were slugs if we felt like it. Really wonderful and relaxing. And it was so strange to spend just about seven days with someone and not ever even come close to wanting to kill him or to hide in the room's armoire curled in the fetal position. Wonders will never cease I suppose! And now it's unfortunately time to rejoin the rat race, but I'm so so glad we went on this vacation together.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Sounds like an excellent vacation! See, Las Vegas can be fun without obnoxious harpies and droning meetings...