Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Enough with the Hillary for President Talk

If you've read any of my earlier posts, you know I campaigned hard for John Kerry and John Edwards. I watched John Kerry give his concession speech and sobbed out of sheer disappointment and fear over what would happen to this country in the next 4 years. I looked to people like Barack Obama for hope and inspiration. The Democrats must look to 2006 and 2008 with a plan for victory, a plan that not only includes our hopes and dreams, but logic and practicality - in short, a plan that will WIN.

And that is why I am begging the Democrats to shut it with the Hillary Clinton in 2008 talk. Do I like it that this country still shits on minorities and that women are consistently paid less than men for doing the same job? HELL NO. But if you can look at the election results maps and still think that ANY woman, much less Hillary Clinton, can win the Presidency, then I hope you're just about done with the brick of hash you broke out after the election, and that there's no more where that came from.

For Hillary Clinton to be a viable, winnable Presidential candidate, we would basically have to saw off the nation at the Mason-Dixon line, and use the Men in Black neuralizer on all the red counties that are left. (Something which you may find tempting, but something which in practicality, won't be done) Her name alone evokes a negative kneejerk reaction in too many people across the country. It would be a waste of time and money for her to run, and if she did throw her hat in the ring, I would actively campaign against her. For the good of the party and the country, Hillary Clinton cannot make a run for President.

I am not suggesting we sell out our hopes and our dreams for a better country, and this is not meant to be a slam on Senator Clinton or the good things she has accomplished. But neither do I think the Democrats should throw away their 2008 hopes with both hands, and then wonder where we went wrong when we lose again.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Totally agree. This country isn't ready for a woman president. Also, Hillary is tainted. I can just see the conservatives spin her "loyalty" to her adulterous husband, Whitewater will come back. She may be a very good senator (I don't know I haven't paid attention to her), and she was a rockin first-lady. However she carries too much baggage to survive the Right Wing attack dogs.

cillic said...

I think H would be a poor choice for the Democrats if they want to win the Whitehouse back. The Clintons were a lightning rod for the Far Right... the Evangelicals would be out en-masse to oppose her. Unfortunately, I think it will have to be a relative un-known who is able to win. I'm completely unintersted in anyone from capitol hill. Perhaps a governor...