Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Misinformation and Apathy

If the provisional ballot count in Ohio goes against Kerry, and it very well may, this country will effectively go to hell. Anything that people didn't like about Bush in his first 4 years, any mistakes he committed, any lies he told, any ridiculous and arrogant moves he made will only come back to bite us all tenfold over the next 4 years. Bush will not have to worry about re-election this time around, and we will have effectively validated him in his own eyes. In addition, he may well have the chance to replace half the Supreme Court with nutbags like Priscilla Owens.

Here is who I blame for what will happen to our country:

1) Everyone who voted for Bush. Whether you are misinformed or simply have no conscience, you have your head in the sand with respect to this President and his policies. Or maybe you are just as arrogant as he is.

2) Every Kerry supporter/Bush hater who did not get out to vote. I don't care if you live in a swing state or not. While this country is in total crisis, the attitude that you could just sit on your ass and not do the ONE CONCRETE THING you could do to secure a victory for Kerry, is bullshit and sickens me.

3) Myself. I certainly have to take a portion of the accountability. I've known what was at stake for almost 3 years here and I did not get involved early enough in the campaign to make a significant difference.

4) The Kerry campaign. Too much time was spent fending off Vietnam allegations, too much time was spent ducking for cover and not nearly enough time getting out a clear message to the American voters. And it showed. Hindsight may be 20/20, but I gotta tell you, this is what I've been thinking the entire campaign and it was why I got involved late in the process in the first place.

Please God, don't let this country destroy itself. Don't let Bush do it either.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I blame Jesus and the South... must...find...liquor

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Donna said...

To Jesus' credit, I don't blame him, and I sincerely doubt he'd appreciate all the hypocrisy and bullshit that gets carried out in his name. But I do blame politicians who are willing to leverage Jesus as a smokescreen and a distraction, and voters who are too willing to substitute faith for logic and reasoning.