Monday, November 29, 2004

Back to the Grindstone

If there's anything I have learned in my adult life, it's that vacations rock. Thanks to my company's tricky pea-under-the-shell accountants, I have to hoard vacation days every year for our mandatory Thanksgiving week shutdown. (It's hoard vaca or don't get pay, period.) So since Saturday the 20th I have been jubilantly lazy and self-absorbed.

Thanksgiving was great, despite the inevitable last-minute glitches and miscommunications. My best friends' family (really, they're more like my family too) came over. I got to see my little quasi-nephew Alex, who started out cute, but who now leaves the Gerber baby and any other baby I've seen in the dust. I frankly don't understand how Steve gave him half his genes. Or how Alex's mom, Kelly, actually likes Steve for his looks and not his personality as much. Wonders will never cease. There really is someone for everyone. Whatever, I remain grateful that things are working out, that Steve and Kelly are turning out to be great parents, and that I like Kelly far and away the best out of any girl I've seen Steve with. (not too hard, but Kelly really is a sweetheart)

We also drew names for Christmas presents, and much to my dismay I got my best friend's hubby, who never wants anything and is the hardest person alive to shop for. If only I'd gotten one of the girls I could have hooked them up with a supply of my new favorite addiction, Lush Fresh Handmade Cosmetics. In any case, I went on eBay and won a new Cardinals 2004 World Series baseball jersey for Eric, so I'm hoping he will like it, and if not well then pbbbbttttttt.

Last night I tried to put up my 7.5 ft pre-lit Christmas tree but a few branches around the top are not lighting so I need to go through and find which bulb is burnt out. The kitties have so far been very good about not using the tree as a ladder, instead embracing as their duty the coating of the tree skirt with a generous layer of cat hair. I really love Christmastime - right down to cheesy Andy Williams Christmas carols. (Listen, if Andy Williams restored your faith in Christmas after seeing your dad in a red Santa suit when you were 5, you'd love his Christmas tunes too. I knew full well Santa Claus is not Korean - or my dad. Thank you Andy Williams. Thank you.)

(PLEASE NOTE: Even though I love cheesy Christmas carols, I still hate that frigging "Simply! Ha-a-aving! a Wonderful Christmas Time!" tune. I may be Backstreet Boys queer but I'm not mentally impaired. Any of you who think I'm queer for the Andy Williams thing - well, I just got my revenge by sticking "Simply! Haaaaving! A Wonderful Christmas time!" in your head. Enjoy.)

Anyway, it's Monday and I gotta put my nose back to the grindstone. If in the holiday madness I don't get to blog again (although I am hoping there will be spectacular mayhem at the office Christmas party this Saturday to relate) then I wish you all a great holiday season.

Mooches Smooches,
D

1 comment:

Laura said...

I want a play-by-play of any freakshow incidents at your office party. I will be surely bummed (as I know you will be too) if Scarlett Harlot (or a like-creature) doesn't show