Sunday, April 04, 2010

Another Food Post and Random Bits

So I've been trying to take better care of myself and eat better, so my cooking efforts have increased as of late. This weekend's efforts include

Chickpea Cutlets (from Veganomicon cookbook)

Wait, what?  Chickpea cutlets?  No, it's true.  I know I am going to be the eleventy bozillionth person to blog about these but eh, it's my blog, so suck it.  My desire to test-drive these after hearing of them is largely due to
  1. The fact that I oddly love fake meat items.  I have been known to skip the meats entirely at Flat Top Grill and just load up on all the fake meats like tempeh and Veat.  
  2. The fact that I hardly ever cook meat at home because I hate doing it.  I don't know if it's the effort or the salmonella risk or what, but I hate cooking meat at home.  F-
So I trucked out and picked up some vital wheat gluten (I love chickpeas so always always have a few cans in the pantry) and got to work.  It was a bit of assembling but still fairly easy.  And OMGDELICIOUS.  I can see where some people might not love them but I thought they were awesome.  I plan to try again with other beans (black bean burgers of my very ownsome, huzzah!) and stock up on vital wheat gluten from Amazon Grocery.

Here's one of my unattractive but delicious chickpea cutlets.  I chose to bake instead of fry.
Photobucket

Have I mentioned I'm a lazy cook?  I'm a lazy cook.  So when I figured out I could make quinoa in the rice cooker YEA VERILY CELEBRATIONS WERE HEARD THROUGHOUT THE LAND.  Today I made a bunch of quinoa - 2 cups quinoa, 2 cups chicken broth, 2 cups water.  You can use whatever broth/seasoning you like - mushroom broth is particularly awesome with quinoa.

Then I dumped some frozen corn, a can of black beans, a can of Rotel, some garlic powder, minced onion, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper together in a bowl and mixed it with the cooked quinoa.  And got this mountain of awesome:

When Quinoa Attacks on 365 Project

I am stuffed full of a helping (and then some) right now.  OM NOM NOM NOM!!!

I wasn't as productive with spring cleaning as I wanted to be but I did get some big things done, so I am going to bake off some Ghirardelli brownie mix later, using applesauce and flaxseed instead of oil and eggs.  I've done the applesauce trick before and find that the brownies taste just fine.  I heard about the flaxseed trick (1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water  = 1 egg) just this week so I am curious to try it out.

I am way the fuck behind on choreographies for upcoming performances, BUT one of the things I did accomplish this weekend was to clean out my office/third bedroom enough to line up the cheeeeep mirrors I got from IKEA along the wall to use for dance practice.  I would post a pic except the mirrors also reflect how the rest of the office is still pretty cluttered.  So I expect to catch up this week.

I started watching the 1st season of Breaking Bad from netflix.  OMFG.  That shit is messed up.

Silence of the Lambs is on tv now.  This movie is 19 years old.  WTF when did that happen.

And guess what has two thumbs and got to see Christopher Moore, fuckawesome author?  THIS GIRL.
Photobucket
I am really pissed I didn't have the forethought and guts to ask him to address my book to "Fucksocks"

Amy took this of me in the bookstore, nonchalantly ignoring the dragon that wants to eat my head.
Photobucket

That's it for me today.  Later, taters!

No comments: