Sunday, January 16, 2005

Oh the Weather Outside is Horrible

And my job is so deplorable. Just kidding. Thank you MDL for continuing to pay me.

Non-football people, now's the time to go get a drink or something. I'll let you know when to tune back in. I just got done watching the Colts vs. the Patriots - I'm shaking my head here but I'm not surprised. Indianapolis made the decision to spend large coin on offense and $3 on defense and it shows. You cannot win championships without defense. I don't care how great Peyton Manning and the Colts offense are, you can't put minimum wage teenagers on defense against Tom Brady and expect to win. Part of me secretly dreams that Manning will be fed up and want to come to the Bears since we actually have a defense. He needs to bring his offensive line with him though because ours is shit. Then Ron Turner will be irrelevant since Manning calls his own plays.

I was glad to see the Eagles beat the Vikings, because although I like Daunte Culpepper, I HATE Randy Moss. I wanted the Packers to beat them last week because Randy Moss is such a bitch. What makes it worse is that he's a talented player, he would be REVERED if he wasn't such a festering asshole. Atlanta spanked the Rams and sent them home sobbing to their mommies, to which I said "Duh." I call an Atlanta v. New England Super Bowl, and I think Atlanta will win.

Ok non-football fans, time to tune in again! And now for a word from my sponsor (well not really) but I am taking the chance to pimp Adagio Teas. Their teas kick ASS. Email me if you want a $5 gift certificate!

If you were wondering about my neighbors' snow drift - yep it's still there. Smaller, but still there.

Does anyone else think Bobby Flay is an arrogant whiny bitch? Me too.

I am a knitting fool now! So far I can only knit scarves - well, um, just one scarf. It's a six foot long lumpy blue portrait of the cellulite on the back of my thighs, but everyone who's seen it says it's really nice (even my mom!) but I think they're all being polite. (Even though the last time I saw Mom be polite was right around the Nixon administration). Anyway, I'm giving it to John, because LK says he needs a long scarf, and I dare say he'll find it rather amusing to have a blue representation of my thighs wrapped around his neck. Now I'm working on a scarf for Mom with multicolored yarn (burgundy/green) and after that - you guessed it, more scarves. John's best friend's wife Niki told me it's easy to knit hats, but I ran away screaming in fear. I like scarves. They is nice and flat. (In that respect, they are my anti-breasts.)

Had a pretty good weekend so far. Yesterday I went with bestbud Meeyun to see our favorite Indian people, Shilpa, Bug, his wife Rupal, and all their kiddies. Bug and Rupal have a new baby boy, Ronin, who looks just like his dad so we've christened him Mini-Bug.

(I sense a Note of Explanation is needed. Bug's real name is Suketu. pronounced soo-keh-too. Back in the day at Abbott, this guy we worked with could not pronounce it any other way than "cicada". As though Bug were one of a plague of Hindu locusts descended upon the U.S. to write our software and man our gas stations/Kwik-E-Marts. But I digress. We just started calling him "Bug" for short. It was a moment of sadness and shame in my life when his wife asked him a question and involuntarily called him "Bug")

Anyway back to Adventures with the Brownies. We were celebrating Bug's and Meeyun's birthdays. and ate lots of yummy Indian flavory food, and had lots to catch up on since we hadn't all gotten together in quite a while. Priyanna (Shilpa's daughter) and Sareena (Bug and Rupal's daughter) are both about 2.5 yrs old and totally sweet, albeit a bit shy. But hey, better shy than whiny brats like so many kids I see - Shilpa and Bug and Rupal are all doing great parenting jobs.

Today I had lunch with Mom and Dad, and hung out watching football and knitting with Dad. I really think Mom identifies more with me now that I've picked up knitting, because she used to knit a LOT. I bond with Dad over sports, with Mom over shopping and crafts.

Tomorrow I have MLK Day off (I'm not sure Dr. King's dream included people having a day off, but I suppose he doesn't mind either). I work with a lot of Europeans so am still going to sit in on a conf call in the morning with them, and then heading into the city to see LK and John, give John his lumpy scarf, go to Lush, and have pillow fights with LK. Or something.

Mooches smooches,

Donna

Edited to add: Don Cheadle just got robbed at the Golden Globes, losing to that annoying ass-clown Leonardo DiCaprio. Also Hotel Rwanda lost to the Aviator, so I smell an Oscar robbing coming up for Jamie Foxx, Ray, and Hotel Rwanda. (Yes I know Ray and Hotel Rwanda can't both win, but I'd rather one of them win than the Aviator. However, I sense Oscar voters will be overcome by the need to suck Scorsese's wang.)


2 comments:

cillic said...

Just gonna comment on the football bit this time (creativity has been beaten out of me today). Did you watch the post-game show on CBS? Now usually I can't stand watching those guys... one, because they have a 'Gumble', two, because Marino alwasy has been and always will be a whining pretty-boy wanna-be. However, when Boomer Esiason called Manning the 'Dan Marino of his generation', and then went on to say what we were all thinking... 'a great qb who never won a superbowl'... wow, was that priceless. You could see Dan's blood pressure shoot up about 100 points, and his face got red... he could hardly contain himself. Priceless.

Donna said...

NO. I can't believe I missed that. I must have gone back to knitting (still can't knit well and pay attention to tv at the same time) I remember when Marino was modeling the Isotoner gloves and thinking "Those must fit great since you don't have to pull them over a RING." baaaahhahahaa.

I can't decide which broadcast team is more annoying - CBS or Fox. at least Fox relegated that numb douche Cris Collinsworth to game commentator, so if I had to pick, I'd go with Fox. (and believe me it hurts to say I'd go with any division of Fox news-related broadcast)