Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Strength

Last night I spoke to an old friend from high school and we hadn't talked in quite a while. (Oddly enough she may be reading this soon as I found out she keeps up with my life through my blog! I'm not naming her just in case someone reads this who knows her and she hasn't told them about this yet and might want to do so herself.) Anyway, a couple of years ago, her mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. They caught it very early and it seemed like they had gotten rid of it all and that she was just fine.

Well, they recently found out that it has spread to her liver, and it's incurable when this happens. Both my friend and her mom have AMAZINGLY positive attitudes about this. I don't know what I myself would do in this situation but I really have to wonder if I could find the strength that they have now. I don't want to get all Frank Capra here, but this woman really has had a wonderful life in my opinion, she's smart, she's funny, and she has a wonderful family - she and her husband have raised two smart, humorous, decent, responsible people. I'm really sad about this, but if she can have a positive attitude, then I can do the same for her sake. But please, if you have some positive vibes to send her way, I'm sure she would welcome the boost.

Thanks,
D

No comments: