Sunday, March 07, 2010

Resurrection comes not with a bang, more of a sigh and a groan

So after a break of almost two years, I am coming back to blogging. I might stick to it, I might not.

Resurrection is probably considered an event and not an ongoing process. But, I'm resurrecting this blog as part of a recovery process so I'm going to treat it as both.

I am doing what I can these days to remember and improve my self-worth. I feel many people and maybe especially many women can't seem to remember their self-worth and how truly higher it is and can be than what they think it is, or how they allow themselves to be treated. And I know that it's so hard to do. It's much easier to believe the bad things about yourself. So again, this is going to be a process, not an event.

Part of my journey is based in something very fun and dear to me, which is bellydancing. I have now been taking classes and workshops on and off since summer 2007. (with a 9 month-break in there after my surgery). The dancing a good activity and a great way to express myself, but more importantly it's introduced me to this great community of people (largely women) who are encouraging and empowering and fun. I've already needed to call on my closer friends in the community to help get me through things and they plain kick ass. I am making it my goal to dance at more haflas (Arabic for dance party) this year and to practice consistently because I'll never be a good dancer without that.

Enough serious for today.

A purring cat up in your biz is at least a temporary antidote to almost anything. Except actual poison and disease of course. Or gunshot wounds. Or stabbing. You know what? Just enjoy a purring cat if you can.

I am taking my first real bellydance classes this evening with Christina King, who is an amazing bellydancer and dance event organizer. I am thrilled to finally be in her classes!

This also means I won't watching the Oscars tonight, which is fine by me as the only thing I care about this year is that Avatar not win Best Picture, lest I explosively vomit. It was visually stunning and all, but otherwise Dances with Smurfs did not do it for me.

VH1 is apparently paying Jessica Simpson to do a tv show. People don't learn.

I think I am going to make some pumpkin beer bread. Or pound cake. Or both. Later, taters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm really looking forward to reading more about your bellydancing. :)

Also, I completely agree on your Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull review. There was a lot of fun stuff in that movie (the nuclear explosion sequence was pretty cool) but the stupid crystal skull stuff was lame. I think it would have been way better if they had done more with the cold war politics.